Bumble Bee's Craft Den

I enjoy crafting and like to try my hand at different things. If there is anything that you see on here that you would like made, please feel free to contact me bumblebeescraftden@gmail.com or by going to my page on Facebook www.facebook.com/bumblebeescraftden. You can post on the wall or send me a message there. I appreciate any comments that people leave so please feel free to comment!!!

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

Today I tried out a recipe in my slow cooker.  The cooker has been in the cupboard for years and I have decided that it's time to get it out and start using it again!!

I joined a group over on Facebook that has recently been set up by a fellow crafter for people to swap and share their slow cooker recipes and tips.

A recipe for pulled pork was shared in the group by a lady called Jan and it sounded great and also easy to make.  Even better that the recipe used a shoulder of pork which I already had in the freezer.  The pork had been reduced at Sainsbury to £1.09 and I picked it up and popped it in the freezer until I'd decided what to make with it!  So this was the idea way to use it and test the recipe.

I cooked it in the slow cooker for around 7 hours until the meat fell away, then shredded it and mixed in a BBQ sauce I'd made.  Now you can leave it for 30mins in the marinade and then put it into your conventional oven for another 30 mins but I left mine overnight in the fridge to get more flavour and then cooked it the next morning.  I also made up some more BBQ sauce and mixed it in just in case it had got abit dry overnight.  During cooking I also stirred it several times to prevent it burning on the top.

The result was delicious and I will definately be making this again.  I froze some of it also for another meal!

Now for the recipe!!


Slow Cooked Pulled Pork serves 2

 
750g-1kg Pork shoulder
 

BBQ Sauce:

                     140g tomato ketchup

                     4 tbsp red wine vinegar

                     1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

                     3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar

          1 French stick, sliced into rolls, and coleslaw, to serve

 METHOD 

1.      Place pork shoulder in slow cooker with cup of water and cook 5-7 hours

2.      Shred pork meat using 2 forks and place in roasting dish

3.      Mix together sauce ingredients and pour over the meat and mix well

4.      Marinade for minimum of 30 mins

5.      Cook in oven 200C for 20-30 mins and serve with bread. Alternatively, serve with chips or rice
 
 
If you make it, let me know what you think of it!!
 
 
**UPDATE**
 
 
Just thought I would add that I froze a bag of this in a ziplock bag after letting it cool down completely.  About a week later I defrosted it overnight and then popped it into an ovenproof dish and put it into the oven on about 160 C for just 10-15 mins stirring it in between so it didn't burn on top.  It still tasted lovely and was nice and moist so freezing works well with this recipe!!  Great if you have a party or BBQ coming up and you need to cook alot of it as you can prepare it a week earlier than you need it!!
 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe - will give it a try - would have been worried about the reheating the next day when it had already been frozen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali - I think it will be fine so long as you make sure it has cooled completely before freezing it. I have frozen cooked meat before that was leftover and it was ok and my mum has frozen roast beef in gravy before and it was lovely. We have also shredded those cooked chickens you can buy and frozen those as well and used for stir fry on another day!!

      Delete
  2. Recipe sounds lovely...will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Found this post interesting??? I'd love to read your comments!!!